2021 Event Calendar Announcement
Dear Members and Supporters
On behalf of The Conococheague Institute, I am extremely grateful for your support throughout the last year. Your patience during the shifting pandemic changes has been appreciated. Though we have had weekly programs, and monthly special events, not being able to announce them far in advance has been troublesome.
That is why I am pleased to announce the 2nd half of the 2021 Event Calendar. Large events and fundraisers require a lot of planning and support. The events for this year are larger than what we’ve had so far in 2021 (but smaller than events from prior years).
Our Development Committee is already hard at work planning the ENTIRE 2022 calendar which will see a return of large scale events with 1000’s of visitors, workshops, fundraisers, feasts and lectures.
We hope you will bring your friends and family to all these events (and our weekly Saturday Programs too).
For more information contact us and stay tuned for more announcements and press releases as we move forward
Colonial Children's Day - Militia Muster 1777
Thursday August 26th , 10am to 2.30pm
Our Homeschool Days of Spring and our July 3rd Militia Muster event combine in a special Colonial Children's Day Program.
Don't miss this one time event for your Child!
For ages 6-14, Preregistration and Waiver Required. Members: $10 per child. Non Members: $15
Return form and direct any questions to firstname.lastname@example.org
"1777 - The War against England requires a fresh fighting force. The Militia is called up to at Old Welsh Run to face this threat"
This program will provide an immersive experience for the participants as they are transported back in time to the Frontier during the American Revolution. Participants will follow several of the actions undertaken by Militia in the Revolution, including:
- Enlistment and Oath of Allegiance - Sign with a quill and pledge loyalty to the new American Establishment
- Musketry and Drill - March in step with Sergeant Davis and learn all of the maneuvers to outflank the British
- Firelock Competition - The new child recruits can bet and rate our 2 best marksman in competitions of Speed shooting!
- Soldiers Lunch - March on your stomach! An authentic Soldiers stew will be served (with an alternative of a cold collation)
- Fleet of Foot - End the Muster with some healthy rivalry. The officers will put out prizes for those who can prove themselves in various games and competitions. Fleet of Foot, Wisest Wit, and more!
Contact us to Pre-register NOW. Space is limited to 25 participants!
History in Nature Celebration
Saturday September 4th 10am to 4pm
Celebrate the end of summer at the Conococheague Institute with a day of themed programming.
We'll be combining the best of our historic programs with new nature themed activities with hands on crafts and learning for all ages.
Free Admission, Donations Appreciated
A Day full of fun filled activities including
- Birding and Botany Nature walks - follow in the footsteps of naturalist Bartram and learn about the new frontier ecosystem
- The Art of Dye - Use natural dyes gathered at CI and make your own resist dyed handkerchief
- Conservation Crafts - Learn how we can protect the environment through conservation while making fun useful crafts with what nature provides
- The Kitchen Garden - lend a hand in harvesting, or sowing the next crop
Tree Planting Volunteer Day
Saturday October 9th: Time Pending
Our fall planting sponsored by the Chesapeake Bay Foundation will include Pussy Willows, Oaks, and Dogwoods. Just 55 trees and shrubs to plant. Lend a hand and learn about the importance of trees for our environment. Contact us to signup for free for this opportunity.
Saturday November 6th:: Time Pending
Experience a special evening under the stars as we celebrate as a community the Colonial tradition of Bonfire Night. Learn about Guy Fawkes, experience period games, and more. (Tickets and admission to certain program parts required. More information soon)
Colonial Christmas at the Conococheague
Saturday December 18th: Time Pending
A ll throughout December we will be having a special Stocking Stuffer Sale in our Gift Shop. On December 18th join us on the homestead and learn about the food and traditions that surrounded Christmas time during the 18th Century.