The Conococheague Institute is a non-profit, 501(c)(3) membership organization, registered as a charity in Pennsylvania and Maryland. Its name is derived from the Conococheague Creek, a tributary of the Potomac River that runs through portions of Pennsylvania, Maryland, and Virginia. The Conococheague frontier was opened for settlement by European colonists in 1736.
Local people pronounce Conococheague: CONICA (rhymes with "Monica") JIG (like the Irish dance). The Native American word means "long indeed, very long indeed. The Institute operates a 30-acre historic site with 18th-and 19th century log houses and outbuildings, a German 4-Square Garden, a visitors center, a rose garden, an 18th-century summer kitchen, and provides access to an historic cemetery dating to the 1760s. Through its accomplishments in historic preservation, archaeology, publications, lectures, discussion groups, an active research library, and demonstrations and exhibitions of historically accurate crafts, trades, and costumes, the Institute promotes quality humanities scholarship on many subjects. Members receive a quarterly newsletter to keep them informed of the progress that the Institute makes.